Georgia's place on the internet for her musings while traveling

Sunday 26 April 2009

So today I tried to make my way to the golden pavillion....
Didnt quite work out, first I got distracted by the botantical gardens. Spend a good few hours in there, even though it was shtting it down. Was really beautiful, the japanese really know how to lay out a garden!
There was this mad greenhouse thing like kew, But you walked up ramps and stuff which was pretty cool.
And there was a catcus section.
The actualy garden was so massive and about 7 different gardens in one, cherry tree garden, english rose garden, bamboo garden, zen garden, you get the picture. And it had all these random little windy paths in it so that someone like me could pretend they were lost and not just have to walk on the fat paths with everyone else.
Saw this amazing butterfly, which I nearly killed actually.... Shouldnt have been on the path! Also saw a beheaded snake, I dunno if it was killed cos it was a snake or if something just wanted to eat its head... but there was no head...
Everyone in there thought I was crazy, and to be honest not only was i only nonjapanese person that I saw but Im also wearing bright orange tights, have pink hair and was wearing THE ONLY mac I have seen in this whole city, which happens to be bright purple!
Good times!
Then from there i tried yet again to get to the golden temple....
And again i got distracted, this time by this random group of temples and shrines, which happened to have one of the oldest temple/house in japan. The place where they invented the sliding door concept!! Oh yes. I have seen it for myself.
Had a magickal zen garden as well surrounding it as well. And this cool walkway that creaks like a nightingale when you wealk on it so they would know when there was a random intruder.
Very cool...
Then I was so tired form my 5, yes 5 hours of constant walking that I had to get a bus back to my hotel and lie down, and the camera battery was dead from the gardens! pictures coming soon!
So i watched the dark knight, honestly I liked it. BUT it annoyed me because of the difference to the animated series, and that was my childhood! But good film anyway.
Went and got another curry for dinner and I am armed with a apple strudel, or something liek that anyway and Im going to watch a random Japanese film.
Tomorrow Im gonna try do this walk thing with this guy who was featured on C4, hopefully i get there in time...
But yeah that was my day in kyoto.

1 comment:

FallibleReason said...

Japan is really too innteresting, from abandoned islands: http://www.viceland.com/wp/2009/04/battleship-island-japans-rotting-metropolis/

to naked popstars in local parks: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8014237.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8017268.stm

Deary me, keep yourself away from rice wine unless u want to face a £2,100 penalty

:)